Monday, May 6, 2013

A Very Peculiar Dirty Little Secret

Oxycontin (Oxycodone HCI)
Got Pain?
Like millions of Americans, I take prescribed drugs.  Some of them aid me in being a little less crazy.  (I need all the help I can get.)  

Here, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, doctors DO NOT prescribe nor are they giddy about refilling any narcotic prescription.  Like in any small town (very small during the winter months), there is a drug problem here.  

But the extent of this problem and the hushed way that it is handled, is what first struck me as strange.  The first time I had my medications filled at the local CVS, the pharmacist telephoned me.  They wanted to know why, specifically, "are you taking two drugs from the same class?"  "What's wrong with you?"

"Truthfully," I explained to the pharmacist, "when I get my period, I am a nightmarish bitch, and no one, including myself, can stand to be around me."

"Oh," she said.  "I wish that someone would prescribe something for me." 

And why don't they?  Shrug. 

When I tried to find a primary care physician, I called the only two locations that do not double as Urgent Care Facilities, and I was told, "We will have to interview you.  How long have you lived here?  Are you currently taking any medications for pain?  We will not prescribe or fill pain medications."  

"Wow!  Good to know!  But what if I'm in pain?  What if my spleen is going to burst or I break my pinky toe?"

After speaking to the pharmacist and the physician's office, I got a really good sense that I was a drug addict, and if it wasn't me, then there were a lot of other drug addicts around me, so much so, that I was presumed to be one.  

I need to go to an NA meeting.  I wonder if it will be packed or empty?  Will the NA folks know where to score? (I jest.)

Based on the short time I've been here and solely on my own personal experiences, I think the Outer Banks could use more doctors who are willing to prescribe drugs that help people function better.  There'd be less cases of abuse, I think.  And less alcoholism.

Once again, just little ol' me tossing in my two cents.

Onto lighter less insidious topics like PIZZA!

Food Lion's mad sky parking lot
Today's OBX Recommendations:

Where to shop for food.
Food Lion, mp 10.5.  It's slightly hidden so it's less crowded.  It's less expensive than Harris Teeter, and the folks who work there, from the manager (from Staunton, VA) to the produce guys to the cashiers, and on down the line, are really good people.  When you enter, try and look like you've grocery shopped before.  Your less likely to stick out like a tourist.  Don't squeal at the sight of beach balls and plastic buckets wrapped in netting.  Be cool!  Also, if you buy the plastic bucket, make sure that the netting gets put into the trash can.  Netting kills fish!  Useful tidbit: the bathrooms are directly to your left when you enter.      

Pizza
These are my top picks.
This is my FAVORITE food.  I could eat pizza every day.  

If you can venture off the beaten path, try out Colington Pizza.
Best of the Beach, Summer 2012
 Delicious!  Everything!
 (It's past Billy's Seafood on Colington Road).  The front of house manager is beautiful and funny and always surrounded by a crew of locals.  The ambience is great.  You're apt to hear a good fish story and make a new friend.


Want New York style?  Slice Pizzeria, mp 8.5, Bypass 158  (If
you like spinach and cheese, I recommend the Spinach Roll.  Yum!)  You can also watch them toss the dough.  Great for the kids.  And they have an outside seating area.  

Dare Devils' Pizzeria, around mp 9, Beach Road
I've been going to Dare Devils for twenty years.  Same owners!  Same great food.  When I got married 11 years ago, we served their pizza at our rehearsal dinner.
Surf Videos play on the big screen


 What else can I say to make it any better?  Oh yeah, I met the owner this summer when he was out surfing with his kids.  Great guy!


  

Do you have questions about the Outer Banks?  Maybe I can answer them for you!  Thanks.  Michele


No comments:

Post a Comment